Thursday, March 3, 2011

DIY Birthday Banner.

I finished Kyleigh's birthday banner! Actually, I made two because it was THAT easy.

I got my inspiration from Bellababytoppings, although all the banners I have seen have pretty much the same concept, just a few minor different details. Just to refresh your memory, this is the picture:



Before I even saw this picture, I knew I wanted to do black circles with smaller white circles and use the ribbon I used for my invitations. But I really like the pink poka-dots. Orginally, I was going to use paper and cut everything myself but here is where the easy part comes in. I figured out a simple way to make them on the computer using photoshop and paint, yes...PAINT. Ya' know, that program that comes preloaded onto your computer that we all use to play with when we were younger? Yes! That one. :) :) And technically, you don't even need photoshop. But photoshop makes it easier.

I opened paint. I made one large black circle, then a smaller white circle. Then, I made small pink circles all over the white circle. I saved it.

Then, I opened a new "document" in photoshop and made it transparent.

I typed "H" in the font that I wanted; which is the Walt Disney font I downloaded. I saved that and opened up my circle from paint.

I copied the letter onto my circle and moved it around until I got it exactly where I wanted it. I saved it. I deleted that letter and did an "A". Then, I repeated for every letter until I got all the letters I needed for "Happy 1st Birthday" and "Kyleigh is One."

Then, I printed out each letter on white card stock paper. This is what it looked like printed out:


I cut them out and ended up with this:





To put it together and make the letters into a banner all you need is ribbon and a hole puncher.





Ok, you probably didn't need a picture of the ribbon and hole puncher but I was having too much fun taking pictures of this stuff and got carried away. But back to the banner. :)

So, punch two holes into your circle and thread your ribbon through it and you end up with this:




And there you have it. :) I love it! It was really simple to make and it didn't take long either. I made it while Kayla was at preschool and Kyleigh was napping.

******************************************
I finished the birthday invitations! So, one last final picture...or two.




******************************************
Ever since I have been envisioning Kyleigh's birthday, I always had in my mind that I would have jars on the table filled with something that matched her theme.

When I was at Michaels I happened to come across these little jars; 2 for $5.





I knew I had to get them, even though I had no idea what I would put in them...UNTIL I went to check out. And these candy gum balls were right at the check out line.





I swear I jumped up and down and even let out a little scream. I was THAT excited. I can't wait! Finishing the banner and getting those jars and the candy made me even more excited to see what else I can come up with and find. And of course, I'll share it with all of you. :)

Have any of you made stuff for your kids birthday party? Have any good ideas what to serve at a party to eat?


I linked up at:


12 comments:

  1. Looks like it's going to be an awesome party! What beautiful invites and I love the banner....so simple but way cooler than the store bought ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, I'm following from MBC. That banner is absolutely adorable. Great idea even for a bridal shower. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the banner you made- I wish I had seen this earlier in the week...
    My son's birthday was Thursday!

    http://weddedblisster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Your blog is wonderful!
    Julie
    www.sospouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be more crafty! Very cute banner! Next year I want to make more home made stuff for my sons bday.
    I am your newest follower from MB Club.
    When you get a chance id love for you to check out my blog.
    http://thecouponqueenbee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, new follower from MBC. I love the banner.

    http://myview-finder.blogspot.com
    http://addsomechaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So crafty! Looks like it will be a super birthday celebration. I'm a new follower from MBC--feel free to check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness! That's so cute. It makes me hope our next child is a girl.
    Newest follower from MBC ^^
    Be sure to check out my blog and please follow back :)
    http://slepperymind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You did a great job!! My daughter's 1st birthday was in January and Bella Baby toppings made her banners!! I have a tons of pictures of her party on my blog if you need more ideas! :)

    Following you from bloggy moms!!

    adventuresmommywood.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you make the white circle inside the black circle? Mine keeps getting offcentered!! Can you email me? Britters886@gmail.com!!

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiii I have the same question I've just spent an hour trying to get a perfect circle in the circle and I just can't figure it out..please email me the way you did it jasminecruz115@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, (I also emailed you but thought I would comment on here incase anyone else experiences the same thing)

      The way I made the white circle center was by this:

      First I made the black circle.

      Then next to it (not on top of it) I made the white circle. Once you make the circle a box with dotted lines should appear around it making you able to move it around. I then moved it onto the black circle until it was centered.

      I hope that makes sense and helps!!! Good luck.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...